Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Wilson of Afghanistan died today.

Charlie Wilson was my congressman, Second
District Texas. His name is spoken with respect
by men who are concerned not with dying,
but with dying well. He came to the court
house in Groveton TX and visited with
all comers. I told him, "Sir, there may be
someone here who does not know that
you are the man who gave Stinger missiles
to the Afgfhan rebels. Millions of us do
know, and we respect and admire you, sir."

Ave atque vale
Through many countries and over many seas
I have come, Brother, to these melancholy rites,
to show this final honour to the dead,
and speak (to what purpose?) to your silent ashes,
since now fate takes you, even you, from me.
Oh, Brother, ripped away from me so cruelly,
now at least take these last offerings, blessed
by the tradition of our parents, gifts to the dead.
Accept, by custom, what a brother’s tears drown,
and, for eternity, Brother, ‘Hail and Farewell’.
Gaius Valerius Catullus

1 comment:

  1. Rest in peace, Charlie Wilson. You did the greatest service that any human being can do, you helped to liberate people from a tyranny. You did it when no one else even understood what was going on, and against the prevailing political wisdom of the day. I thank you, on behalf of myself and my kids, and also on behalf of my beloved paternal grandfather (of blessed memory) who was forced to leave his family and his country at the age of 22 in order to survive and live in freedom. You helped to bring down the system that ripped his family apart. I'm sure that you'll meet him soon - then he can thank you himself.

    Millions know who you were and what you did, and we are eternally grateful. May G-d bless your soul, and may you rest in the peace that you deserve.

    ReplyDelete